December 30, 2008

Roving Area


Farm design is a science as well as an art. There are many school of thoughts, there is no absolutely right or wrong. Just for an example, the size of a roving area.. Some says it has to be as big as possible, some says it should be smaller so that we do not waste the nesting space. I heard some farms without a roving room get good results but those with big roving, as big as a shop floor space is doing well too.. I tend to like a bigger roving room. It is more like a playground to our children, or young birds in this case. I read it some where someone one was saying the ratio should be 2:1 for roving vs nesting area. Well, I doubt that many follow this rule, but instead the reverse more from what I have seen many farms so far.

2 comments:

K L said...

Absolutely cannot be that kind of ratio. I think there is a minimum size of roving area required, irrespective of the nesting area. However, when the nesting area reaches a certain size, the roving area may have to be increase slightly only.

Frank and my wife Doris said...

KL, You could be right, 2:1 is over-doing. We need a balance, 2:1 could be the extreme..When we running out of nesting area, I do agree we may consider reducing the roving area.